The Department of Ophthalmology and Optometry at the Medical University Vienna has a long-standing tradition, founded in 1812 as the first University Eye Clinic in the world. Ophthalmology was also the first individual discipline following internal medicine and surgery to obtain an independent status and specialized residency training. Ophthalmologists from around the world traveled to Vienna to learn more about their specialty and ophthalmological textbooks written by members of the Viennese department were translated into multiple languages.
The team of the Department of Ophthalmology and Optometry at the Medical University Vienna is aware of its historical and medical responsibility for the past 200 years and continues to live up to this tradition until this day, with continuous improvement in clinic and research and a strong publication activity.
Our goal is to provide patient-centered care, latest state-of-the-art scientific research and to maintain the highest quality in our ongoing training program. As a consequence, the Department of Ophthalmology and Optometry of the Medical University Vienna has sustained its pioneering role as one of Europe's leading eye clinics.